A Little Bit of Asian in Karlsruhe

When I first came to Germany to visit last year, many of my friends and family asked if there were any minorities living in Germany. There are many minorities living here as there are many universities and many international students from all over the world studying here. The next question that followed was if there were any asians in Germany specifically where I was. At the time of my 5 day visit, I saw a couple but not much. But now that I live here, I see quite a bit - those from India and China mainly. I have also met some of the students (in particular ones from the Bed and Breakfast Karlsruhe hostel). And the next question that followed? Are there any asian stores, restaurants, etc.... heck even a Chinatown or little India?

I'm sure you would find many in the bigger cities like Berlin or Frankfurt, but I can only speak about Karlsruhe and the nearby cities. Working in Bühl, I see a Chinese restaurant all the time at the Bühl-Baden station. I haven't tried it but a friend did and said it was ok. I tried to look for asian grocery stores there but none to my knowledge. Alas, I found a couple via Google in Karlsruhe since it is a bigger city. There are 2 that I have been to (there are a few more elsewhere). Both are near the University (KIT). One is called The Asia Store located at Markgrafenstraße 27 where you can find ingredients mostly for Indian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese cuisines. Just a few minutes away is another store called Kim's Laden located at Zähringerstraße 49. Here you will find mostly Japanese ingredients that you may not find in The Asia Store. They also have Chinese ingredients. Both store owners are super nice and helpful so don't hesitate to ask!

As for restaurants? Well, all I can say is I am glad to have met and live with Ivana. She loves to eat and she loves to try new things. And I was super happy that she asked me one day to go to a Japanese restaurant she has been meaning to try out since she got here. Without hesitation, I got dressed and ready to go! Sashimi here I come! I have been craving Japanese food for weeks! The place we went to was called Sushi Circle. It's a sushi bar with a conveyor belt of moving delectables. I have never been to one and come to think of it, I don't think there is on in Edmonton so I was very excited about giving this a go.

Here, they had 5 different coloured dishes. Each colour represented how much each dish that you choose off the belt would cost. They also had a menu as a table mat to see what would be made. We did notice that not all of the items were there so it was an adventure trying to guess what it may be and if we should try it out. We took many that ended up being really good. There was one dish that stood out. It kept coming around and around and each time we would ask each other, "What the heck is that?" and "Do you think we should try it?" It was a salad of some sort. The only thing that we weren't sure about was what the orange thing was. Eventually, we did try it and I thought it may be tofu but it ended up being octopus ... and pretty spicy at that :) It ended up being a good place to go to. Hopefully next time, we would have some of the dishes that didn't make it on to the belt from the menu.

I have also tried a couple of chinese noodle places in particular the one near KIT and the one in the Karlsruhe hbf. Both were similar and fast food. I did notice that the noodles were different from what I was used to in Edmonton and wasn't as salty. I noticed that the locals love to drench them with chili sauce like it were ketchup. And I might add, the chili sauce is hot. Then again, I am a weakling when it comes to hotness. Sorry ma, I didn't get the Malaysian gene for that ;)

And another thing we tried out? Thai Massage! Yeseree Bob ... we tried out the a Thai Massage and no ... it is not an "erotic" thai massage. The spa experience didn't push me that far ;) It even said "Kein Erotisch" (I think ... darn my German) at the front door of the Schook Dii Thai Massage. I know what you may be thinking, ""Why don't I try thai massage in Thailand instead of Germany?" The answer ... cause I can! If I didn't meet and live with Ursel, I wouldn't have had the spa and thai massage experience. She has been awesome (along with Ivana) for broadening my German experience here.

Ivana and I didn't know what to expect from our first experience but we were excited to finally have some time for taking care of ourselves. We took a 30 minute back massage. Firstly, the everyone there is so nice. Secondly, the décor is very welcoming and beautiful. We confirmed our appointment at the office and then they took us next door up the stairs where you were hit by the aroma of what some of us know as White Flower oil. In the waiting room there was goodies on the table and coffee and tea on the side table (yes I had to resist the twix mini chocolates). We were called as rooms became available. Once in the rooms, you undressed (except left the underwear on) and lied down (stomach down) on the beds. The massage was amazing and so relaxing. My masseuse even massaged my arms and a bit of the face and head. I was told that every masseuse would be different and some may just do the back only. But I was happy with mine. Close to the end, she used the elbows around my shoulders. It was a bit painful but oh ... it was a good pain. Then she asked me to sit up. At this point I thought it might be done but then I was asked to put my arms up to my head and then she twisted me - crack .crack. Again, it was good pain lol. The stretching at the end was nice and at the end of it, you feel rejuvenated yet relaxed. There was also tea after and yes, I did dig into the twix after all. The best part of all this was when I was paying. One of the owner's sons said,"Oh! You are Asian!" Yes, I am. Yes, I am. I guess they don't get many asians coming in for massage? I will have to ask next time :)

0 comments: