A Walk through Königstraße

I had the opportunity today to do a quick visit to Stuttgart since my hosts were going there for a convocation. It was a long train ride, but at least the weather was more pleasant than the previous days.

I was left alone to wander about with my camera on hand. I stopped off at the Tourist Information booth on  Königstraße as it was where the main station was. I was able to ask for a map. There were 2 kinds of maps you can purchase - a small one for the main city centre for 0,50€ or a huge map of the city of Stuttgart for about 8€. The people working there were very nice and speak English well (yes I used my limited German). I did purchase the small map, though did not use it as it was pretty easy to wander off and come back to Königstraße.

Königstraße is pretty much a street for shopaholics :) You had malls like Karstadt and then of course your shops like H&M, C&A, Pimkie ,etc. In between all these shops lies bakeries and cafés galore. The smells entice your hunger and the heat lures you in from the cold. Later in the evening, a few musicians braved the crisp cold to play music. I walked by someone playing a violin, a keyboard, and a saxophone. The street was hustling with early Christmas shoppers and teens just out of school for the day.

I did wander off of Königstraße for a bit and sure glad that I did! As I was snapping off with my camera, I came to a window so utterly fabulously decorated for Christmas that I was in total awe! The display was all done in paper and sketched out. But it had moving (interactive) parts like people skating. It brought not only a huge smile on my face but the feeling of magic that a child gets. The whole Breuninger store/building was wonderfully decorated in capturing the feeling and joyous moments of Christmas in a non-commercial sense (a bit of an irony). But WOW!!!!

On the Schiller Square (Schillerplatz) and the marketplace (Marktplatz), cabins and stalls for the Weinachsmarkt (Christmas Markets) were being set up. Each one was decked out in their own Christmas decor from simple lights to out right lights and reindeers at the top of the cabin. There was also a merry-go-round and some other rides set up for the children. Once set up, I can see how wondrous it will become and will definitely be the main attraction in the next month. The market is one of the largest in Germany and most grand especially with the Old Palace in the background. Oh how I love Christmas!

0 comments: