Celebrating Silvester in Germany

If there is one event that is mostly common throughout the world and different cultures, it's celebrating and welcoming the new year. So how do people in Germany celebrate Silvester, as it is called here? I know Germans have this assumption by others that they are reserved and serious and perhaps don't know how to really let loose for something like new years but it's quite the contrary. Here, it's all about letting loose and making lots and lots of noise. The more noise, the better.

Of course, everyone celebrates it differently. Some people celebrate in pubs and discothèque while others are having dinner with family and/or friends. Wherever one is, once midnight strikes, they head out to the streets. There they light up rockets that shoot to the sky and create displays of fireworks, light up mini fireworks that hover on the grounds or sticks, or fire some blanks with sparks. I'm sure in between there are champaign drinking or any drinking really. Here, drinking on the streets is allowed at any time.

I celebrated at Thorsten's place where we had raclette (see Christmas post) once again as it is always quick, easy and delicious. There were 8 of us altogether and 2 dogs. It was really nice to meet some more new people and I even met a guy named Tobias that came to Canada back in 2007 or 2008 for University. We talked all about Canada, the difference between Canada and Germany and he even gave me tips for learning German. After dinner, Thorsten turned on his computer to show me the new year tradition that almost every German does - Watch a short skit of "Dinner for One." It's a British skit made in 1963. Apparently it plays quite often in between programs on the eve.  With a couple of minutes before midnight, we had our champaign glasses filled and ready and turned on the TV to count down with the rest of the country... 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 HAPPY NEW YEAR ... GUTES NEUER JAHR!


We watched while people in the neighbourhood set off rockets and then headed out with our own. We brought a crate with empty bottles so that we have a place to place the rockets before lighting them up and headed out to the neighbourhood streets. It was so crazy and amazing that it was hard to describe. The place was full of laughter and energy as everyone had a blast just going crazy! One neighbour was so hard-core they found a way to light their rockets one after the after and timed in succession. I felt like the arson in me took over and just went crazy lighting what we had. The people I was with were nice to let me have a go each time since this was my first time celebrating Silvester in Germany. I wish we can do this in Canada as well.

After setting the last of our rockets or whatever we had, we headed back and had a piece of a big baked pretzel (Neujahrspretzel). This is a tradition to have on New Year's Day for good luck. Hopefully it will bring me lots of luck as I don't necessarily have a horseshoe stuck up my *** :) The other tradition is a marzipan pig (Glücksschwein). People would exchange and eat the Glücksschwein for good luck. Thorsten's parents were so kind to have given me one - more luck heading my way!!!!

Hope everyone had a wonderful New Years. All the best in 2011!

A few photos of Silvester - section in album
Fireworks videos - ground; rocket

0 comments: