Reflection at the 8th month mark

I meant to write a reflection in the 6-month mark but I forgot about it and if I did remember, I was lazy to do it. Ah ... some things never change!

The first few month went by pretty quick and it was quite challenging but a great learning experience. I was lucky to have and blessed to have my friend Thorsten help me out all the time. It's not like a vacation where you learn about the transport system, talk to the locals, find a place to stay, eat, etc. Staying here for a year working and a bit of studying meant trying to get into the system which also means you need to know the ins and outs of what to do. So funny, as most of us are trying to get out of the system :)

Because the first few months were really all about learning, it kept me busy. I know the goal was to be able to work. So I know I needed the equivalent of a SIN (in Canada) in Germany which is called a Lohnsteuernummer. I needed to get that from the Finanzamt and in order to get that I needed to register with the Einwohnermeldeamt (I practiced saying this every chance I got so it came out smoothly!). In order to register there, you must find a place first. This is no easy feat as you are competing with students as well. I was lucky to get 5% response of any kind. And once you do, you have to go look at the place and check it out. Knowing German is good and again I got lucky having Thorsten here to come with me each time. I ended up registering my friend's parents place as it was the permanent address. Thank you to them! I am very lucky to have them as well. They have been like my 2nd family here.But usually you need to show a rental contract of some kind. And everytime you move (even next door), you must tell them. I had to do that once I moved to Karlsruhe and goodness knows how I managed to do so with my crappy German but I did! I always had my German dictionary with me though I hardly used it, hoping to get by with what I know and a bit of charades. But the people I have dealt with have been pretty patient and my luck has been pretty darn good whilst I am here.

Then there is the other issue, you need a bank account (konto) to deposit your income to and do wire transfers. I researched here like crazy as most have fees when you are not a student and not under 25. I ended up with volksbank Bühl and have not regretted it. It was difficult for them to understand my situation as they have not come across this before. Normally they deal with students and normally for more than one year.  But again, Thorsten to the rescue! He helped out and I totally recommend anyone to bring someone who is fluent with German. I found most people are awesome with English but are shy at first. And anyways, it's best to have someone translate something like this when you have to sign important papers. I did end up dealing with Norman via email and in person on my own and he has been super about it. Always helpful and even was able to converse in English when it was too difficult for me to talk in German. But I have tried. Even at the 8-month mark, it is still bad!

Oh ... and it is advisable to get a Haftpflichtversicherung (liability insurance) when you are here. It's about 40-60€ a year but well worth the coverage if something does happen. Mine was through Glyn Brookman at Chambervelt, Rooselain & Cie. He is friendly and answered all my questions promptly. And they deal with ex-pats all the time.

And work ... some of you knew I was pretty much hitting the hotels with my CV and even sprained my ankle doing it. Also sending CVs to possible positions in IT via email. But in the end, I got a job via contact. And it seems like the norm in any country you are in, contacts are important. So use them! All my interviews were in German (with some English). Again, looking back, I seriously don't know how I managed to do it. But you get used to it each time and you really have to leave your ego at the door because you can't kid yourself and pretend to hide behind a language you are still learning about. I know most of you knew I wanted to try something new here instead of IT but the reality is that here, you work where your experience and education lies. And you are in that field until you get another degree of some sort. It's totally different from Canada where you can get in via training, hard working attitude and trust really. But I was pretty fortunate to get my job and work with wonderful good people. I think doing the taxes in Decemeber is going to be interesting ;)

People have asked me if every day was an exciting day to be here. Well the truth it's like anywhere else really. I work, go to German and French class, do homework, eat, sleep, do errands, spend time with friends ... the only difference is that you are in a different country and environment. The cool thing is I get to explore this city and elsewhere as I find always something to discover. I love that you can go to other cities and countries close by. I love riding my bike around although I miss driving and having a car. But there are some things that you miss. And that is when it hit me - the 5-month mark - homesickness! I never thought I would be the one to have it but I did and it's not a great feeling. You start missing having that support group from back home that knows you for you and knows you forever. You miss the foods and the culture. And I am so grateful for having Ivana here with me as she has been my rock during those times and more. She's like my sista from another motha :) Then the opportunity came to go back to Canada for a 2-week visit - heck ya! Using my income tax return was worth it.

It was wonderful to be home. When I woke up the first morning back, I felt it was all a dream. Everything was the same so it felt like Germany was a dream. And yes... I even opened the windows automatically! I guess I have gained some habits being here ;) The other thing was it took me a week or so to get adjusted. I felt like I was in no man's land as home didn't feel like home anymore - ah culture shock! Another thing I didn't count on. But I was super happy to be back and would do this again next year at the 6-month mark. I find it worth the trip and money to keep yourself sane and to keep yourself grounded with all this stimulation.
The photos you see are all food I ate to my heart's content. I promised Ivana to take pics of the foods we always talk about :)

So here I am again. With a few more months left before my visa runs out on me. And you know, I came back more motivated than ever to do things and to really enjoy the last few months here. The visit back home was what I needed to continue to live here. But no matter what the challenges are, don't be afraid to take the risk and do what makes you happy. In the end, the rewards far outweigh the risks. And the risks are based on assumptions usually. When we are faced with comfort and familiar in one hand and the other a whole new unknown dream where it may push you out of your comfort zone, I hope that some of you will choose the risk. Don't be afraid to be happy, to love, to dream big and to LIVE!!!! One life, no regrets right?



2 comments:

Tannis at: July 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM said...

Thanks for sharing Lisa!! Great to hear what you've been up to these last few months. We sure miss you!

~Tannis.

Jenn at: July 29, 2011 at 5:55 AM said...

"In the end, the rewards far outweigh the risks. And the risks are based on assumptions usually. When we are faced with comfort and familiar in one hand and the other a whole new unknown dream where it may push you out of your comfort zone, I hope that some of you will choose the risk. Don't be afraid to be happy, to love, to dream big and to LIVE!!!! One life, no regrets right?"
I love this Lisa! It was my favourite part. You go girl!! See you in France.
Love,
Jenn